Brr! I don’t know about you, but when the weather gets this bitter and chilly I feel that it is the perfect time to make a cup of tea or hot cocoa (dairy-free of course) and get creative in the kitchen.
This recipe has to be one of my favorites and I usually always have the ingredients on hand. If prepared ahead of time, it’s easy to grab on the go or nice to dress up and impress guests with a “Barbeque Night” – healthy style!
I love this recipe because you can still have all of the heartiness and deliciousness that is good ole’ BBQ.
Southern Gal’s BBQ Chicken Salad
Chicken breast (I use ½ the breast on the salad and save the other ½ to make another salad!)
BBQ sauce of choice*
Small green apple of choice
Oil of choice
Pickles on the side of course!
*I LOVE Danielle Walker’s paleo BBQ sauce recipe from her book Against All Grain
1. You can prep your chicken your favorite way or follow one of my favorite methods: preheat your oven to 350° and heat a pan on med-high on your stove top.
2. Wash your chicken and when your pan is hot enough, spray some oil and lay the breast in the pan for about 2 minutes on each side to crisp the outside.
3. Once the sides are crisped up place the chicken on a baking sheet and cut a few slits in the breast before some of your BBQ sauce on top – place in the oven for about 30 minutes or until the juices run clear from your chicken.
4. Using the same pan your crisped your chicken in, add 2-3 slices of yellow onion with a spray of oil and sauté them on med-low until they soften.
5. While your onions sauté, plate as much lettuce and spinach as you want and chop up some cucumber, celery, purple onion, a green apple, carrots, Craisins (I promise the Craisins are so worth it!) and cilantro.
6. Pile up everything on your bed of greens (don’t forget the almonds!) and behold your masterpiece in progress!
7. When your chicken finishes baking, remove from the oven and shred using two forks – place this and your sautéed onions on top and sprinkle salt, pepper and a drizzle of BBQ sauce (Okay who am I kidding – add as much BBQ sauce as you feel necessary!) Grab your pickles and dive right in.
Another delicious option can be found at http://paleomg.com/paleo-bacon-meatloaf/ - Juli Bauer’s blog has some GREAT stuff!
I hope you enjoy this salad as much as I do! What reminds you of a good ole’ family BBQ that you would add? I know I am looking forward to Spring BBQ’s once the weather begins to warm up. There is something so wonderful about pulling the family together for sunshine, outdoor games and good food! But until then… hot cocoa here I come!
Once a month you’ll receive updates on our expanding grocery distribution, fun photos of us in action, and other company updates. Then on occasion we’ll send coupons and other special giveaways just for our subscribers!
Join us now in the movement towards healthy, delicious living.
We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription process, please click the link in the email we just sent you.