Just in time for spring brunch, these sweet-and savory waffles combine carrots, cinnamon, pecans, and coconut for the amazing flavor of carrot cake in a delightful waffle package. They’re perfect as is or top them with a bit of maple syrup for an extra special treat.
- 1 1/4 cups nutpods (plain or vanilla)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup canola or sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose or gluten-free flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans, chopped
- Combine nutpods and lemon juice in a large measuring glass and let sit for 5 minutes. Stir in water, oil, and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Add nutpods-oil mixture and stir until combined. Gently fold in carrots, coconut flakes, and pecans.
- Preheat waffle iron to its highest setting. Cook waffles according to the manufacturer’s instructions (usually 1/4 to 1/2 cup batter and a 5 minute cooking time). Keep waffles warm by placing them, uncovered, on a wire rack set over a baking sheet in a 200° F oven.
- Note: Make a double-batch and freeze the waffles for a later time. Simply reheat in the toaster or toaster oven.