Green Bean Casserole
Recipe and photo courtesy of Kayla Schmah
Level: Harder Than Easy
Prep Time: 40 min
Total Time: 50 min
- 2 lbs fresh green beans
- 4 tbsp non-dairy butter substitute (earth balance)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh mushrooms, finely diced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 4 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 ½ cups vegetable stock
- 3/4 cup Nutpods (original flavor)
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup or more crispy fried onions (Trader Joe’s are vegan)
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Put a large pot of water on high and bring to boil. Snap ends off green beans and cut beans in half. Boil green beans for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Finely chop mushrooms and onion.
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and onion to butter and cook until tender, 5-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour evenly over mushroom mixture and stir well to incorporate all the flour. Cook 1 minute then add stock, Nutpods and garlic powder.
- Cook sauce for 5 -10 minutes, stirring frequently, until it becomes thick and creamy.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add green beans and sauce to a large casserole dish and mix well to coat green beans.
- Sprinkle generously with crispy fried onions.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until onions are golden and sauce is bubbling.
Category: Side Dishes