Dark Chocolate Orange Lava Cake
Prep Time: 0 min
Total Time: 30 min
Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes are a dessert that screams “special occasion” but this easy and healthy recipe makes it possible to enjoy it whenever you feel like a better for you treat
It only takes 30 minutes to make, and it’s completely paleo and vegan, deriving its delicious flavor from nutpods dairy-free Dark Chocolate Orange creamer, melted dark chocolate chips and a secret ingredient that keeps it fluffy, light and moist. Try topping it with coconut whipped cream and orange zest for a real treat.
- ½ cup nutpods Dark Chocolate Orange Creamer + 1 tsp lemon juice
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 heaping cup Bob’s Red Mill Paleo Baking Mix
- ¼ heaping cup coconut palm sugar
- ¼ cup cacao powder
- ¼ cup dairy-free dark chocolate chips, melted
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- For topping/lava center -- more dark chocolate chips + coconut whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and set aside 4 small glass mason jars or ramekins.
- Add the nutpods Dark Chocolate Orange creamer and lemon juice to a medium-sized mixing bowl and mix. Let sit for a few minutes.
- Add the coconut sugar, oil, vanilla, applesauce and beat in with the creamer and lemon juice until foamy.
- Add in cacao powder, paleo flour, baking powder, and salt and continue mixing until well-combined.
- Lastly, add the melted dark chocolate chips and mix once more.
- Divide the batter evenly between the four glass jars or ramekins. You can also use a muffin tin. Make sure batter comes about to the top.
- Spoon about a tsp of dark chocolate chips (or chocolate bar, broken) and push it down into the center of the cakes. Cover with batter.
- Bake 20 minutes, until edges are pulling away from the jar and the top is puffy and no longer appears wet. It should be a little fudgey but still baked, especially around the edges and top, bake longer if underdone.
- Let rest and chill at least 5 minutes before eating. Top with coconut whipped cream and orange zest if you desire.